Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Mind Freeing Narrative [The Hatchery]

Have you ever played the game taboo? That game sums up how I began my process. I found images that I thought related to the hatchery, and caught my attention. The images ranged from modern store interiors, to eggs of all kinds. I then created a word list with words related to the inspiration images. I narrowed down my choices, and chose my concept: reveal. I wanted the research images and words, to illustrate the main idea of the hatchery, just as you would want to illustrate your game card to your teammates in a game of taboo.
The hatchery is a place where the departments of UNCG can display our best works, and reveal them to the public. Reveal can be illustrated through material, flow of traffic, and display placement throughout the store. We as a whole will reveal the hatchery to the public as a collaboration of student work.
I envision my design to capture the attention of pedestrians walking past the hatchery. The windows will give just a hint of what is within the store, so they feel welcomed in, but keeping it just enough hidden to spark interest. When you tell a person they cannot see something, it motivates them to find a way to view it. I would like to use materials, wall partitions, and wall cut outs to make reveals for displaying the student work. I intend to research materials and displays, to find the most innovative ways to reveal the student work of the hatchery, to the public.

2 comments:

Diana R. Stanisic said...

Reveal is very interesting. I see how you can use it from a customers point of view. Kind of like a kid peaking through the wrapping of their Christmas present. It's exciting! How can you use this concept on a smaller scale? I can see a customer walking through the space and each change in concentration is revealed slightly by wall manipulations or something. Can't wait to see your new ideas.

Josie said...

Elise,

Funnily enough, I already had the pleasure of hearing your idea in class the other day, but I'll just reiterate here how much I like it. There are lots of visual things you can do to go along with your concept. It makes for potentially a really cool and interactive space for people to walk around in and really enjoy themselves. As far as materiality goes, I think there are a whole slue of things you could use. You should really think about using 3form panels in some of it--you can't see through it but can just make out shadows and light passing through it.

As far as how your concept relates to greensboro, I think it does in that we are revealing our art to its citizens. Just remember to explore WHY Greensboro needs or would want to be exposed to our students. What can its citizens gain from our art and what can our artisans gain from Greensboros citizens? I'm just throwing ideas out there...but I love love love your idea and I can't wait to see what you produce from it!