Friday, April 9, 2010

Hey Cupcake


I am a chocoholic if ya ever met one, thats for sure! So, while I'm watching what I eat these days, staying away from sweet treats can be very difficult some days. I found a recipe for made from scratch, low calorie, chocolate and peanut butter cupcakes and it turned out great! This recipe was very detailed and even gave the exact nutritional information per recipe. I highly recommend this recipe one, if you like peanut butter and chocolate together, and two, if you need to satisfy your sweet tooth but don't want to pay for it later. I did however add one or two ingredients, so here is the recipe adapted from its original form. 



INGREDIENTS:
(makes 10 cupcakes)
Filling
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Cupcake
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons applesauce
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup low fat sour cream
1 tablespoon milk
1 egg
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon espresso powder (I used instant espresso coffee)



Directions:
1. Mix together ingredients for filling. Set aside.
2. For cupcakes, first blend butter, applesauce, vanilla, and sugar. Add egg and sour cream. Mix.
3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and espresso powder.
4. Mix dry ingredients into wet.
5. Line muffin tin with papers or spray well. (papers recommended)
6. Fill bottom with batter, being carful not to over fill, because you will use the remaining batter later and you don't want to run short (I did run short). Spoon in a drop of peanut butter, then cover with remaining batter.
7. Bake in 350 degree oven for 25-28 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.



NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
135 calories
8 grams fat
17 grams carbohydrates
2 grams fiber
3 grams protein

3 comments:

Sush said...

This recipe is sooo delicious. We ate it when they were still warm, the aroma was so tantalizing. Forget the low calorie title, I think your Daddy would have eaten them at one sitting if he thought he could get away with it! Oh so scrumptious and thank goodness not sinfully so! Thanks Elise...I love when you cook in my kitchen!
xoxox Mom

Laura said...

YUM! Chocolate/Peanut Butter is my fav. mixture EVER! Can't wait to try these :) Love ya!

lisa said...

Can't go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter...I was just munching on some reeses cups the other night...started with one...then finished all that were left in my Easter bag :)